Top Foods That Improve Mood and Energy Levels
If you’re thinking about reaching for a frosted donut or an order of french fries to help boost your mood, you may want to think again. Although the first bite or two might taste delicious, plenty of research has shown that healthier, mood-enhancing food choices — like the ones below — are not only better for our waistlines, but also our stress levels, energy levels and moods. Below we share the top foods that improve mood, stress and energy levels.
Best foods to boost mood and energy
These foods release neurotransmitters like dopamine, serotonin and noradrenaline, which are responsible for regulating mood and energy, making us feel happier. Try making a few changes to your diet with these mood-enhancing foods to help you feel your best.
- Dark chocolate (yes, chocolate!) contains antioxidants that help control cortisol levels and stress hormones. Dark chocolate contains higher levels of polyphenols than other types of chocolate, a natural substance that has been shown to have a positive impact on mood.
- Salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for brain function and brain health.
- Green tea contains mood-boosting amino acids that can also have a relaxing affect.
- Blueberries have more brain-boosting antioxidants than most other fruits.
- Oysters are high in zinc, which can elevate your mood and also improve sleep quality.
- Yogurt and fermented foods like sauerkraut and kombucha can improve gut health and increase serotonin levels, which can improve our mood.
- Spinach is a good source of magnesium, which can reduce anxiety, help maintain hormone balance and boost brain health.
- Bananas contain B6, fiber and natural sugars, which work together to stabilize blood sugar levels.
- Oats contain fiber and iron that can help stabilize blood sugar levels, boosting serotonin and promoting healthy energy levels.
- Oranges, strawberries, bell peppers and broccoli are all high in vitamin C, which boosts our body’s ability to produce dopamine and serotonin, which provide mood stability.
- Nut butters like almond and peanut butter help fend off hunger and act as a mood stabilizer due to a combination of protein and healthy fats.
Follow a healthy diet for a healthier, happier you
Making healthy, mood-boosting foods part of your regular diet cannot only lift your spirits, but also improve your overall health by helping to lower your risk of preventable health conditions like cancers, auto-immune disease, diabetes and heart disease. If you’re concerned about how your current diet is impacting your health, consider scheduling an appointment to learn more about making positive nutritional changes for your mind and body.